The Scrum Master coordinates the work of an Agile development team and oversees the software development lifecycle. The Scrum Master is responsible for monitoring the scrum processes and scrum meetings. They increase the team efficiency, motivate the team, spins, and argues for changes that will ensure quality and timeliness. They ensure the Definition of done, Sprint Goals and standard scrum principles and practices are being followed.
Essential Job Functions:
- Guides the team and organization on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values.
- Guides the team on how get the most out of self-organization to fill in the intentional gaps left in the Agile/Scrum frameworks.
- Assesses the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coaches the team to higher levels of maturity at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization.
- Removes impediments or guides the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment.
- Builds a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem solving.
- Facilitates getting work completed without coercion, assigning or dictating the work.
- Facilitates discussion, decision making and conflict resolutions.
- Assists with internal and external communications, improving transparency and radiating information.
- Supports and educates Product Owners, especially on grooming and maintaining the product backlog.
- Proves all support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leading by example.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Participates in and leads proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals
- Contributes to a positive work environment by demonstrating cultural expectations and influencing others to reward performance and value "can do" people, accountability, diversity and inclusion, flexibility, continuous improvement, collaboration, creativity and fun
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the Scrum Master role specifically knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment and increasing transparency. Experience applying Scrum principles, practices and theory.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of various well-documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (for example, numerous Burndown technologies, various retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc).
- Solid knowledge and understanding of organizing people, tasks, and activities to yield efficient work flow
- Solid knowledge and understanding of customer service and interpersonal best practices
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education and work experience
- 5 years of experience performing a Scrum Master role for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices and theory.
- Scrum or Agile certifications like Certified ScrumMaster or SAFe® Practitioner or Scrum Master
- Demonstrated experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, Continuous Testing, Automated Testing, Agile Games.
- Demonstrated experience working independently to meet project requirements with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated experience discussing complex business and technology issues with business users and customers
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast paced and changing environment